Welcome to the School of Medical Technology
The Medical Technology Program responds to the mission of preparing professionals to fill the needs of present day Puerto Rico.
It aspires to provide an excellent academic education to prepare medical or scientific clinical laboratory technologists with the knowledge, skills, and attitudes necessary in a clinical laboratory science professional beginning in the profession. It also attempts to develop individuals capable of communicating and interacting with patients, their teammates and other health professionals. The application of ethical and moral principles is fomented in the compliance of the laws that govern the laboratory and the Medical Technology profession. Students will become enabled to perform in different scenarios and to practice as enterprising professionals, clinical instructors, consultants, supervisors, administrators, educators, and researchers, among others by means of an innovating curriculum that promotes clinical research.
The National Accrediting Agency of Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) accredits this Program, 8410 W Bryn Mawr Ave., Suite 670 Chicago, IL 60631; Phone: 773-714-8880; FAX: 773-714-8886; http://www.naacls.org). The program has an intensive one-year curriculum divided in two terms: academic or theoretical and practical. Two groups of students are admitted annually, one in August and the other in February. Upon completion of the Program, students are eligible to take the professional certification examination offered by the Puerto Rico Board of Examiners for Medical Technologists and the American Society for Clinical Pathologists (ASCP).
The Programs have affiliations established with different clinical laboratories where students may complete their clinical practice. These facilities are certified by agencies recognized by NAACLS, such as the Department of Health, the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Amendments (CLIA), and the Joint Commission of Hospital Accreditation (JCHA).
The Bachelor of Science degree in Medical Technology and the Professional Post Bachelor Certificate are offered.
- Medical Technology Board Certification Results, approval percent from 2012 al 2017
- Essentials Functions
- Student Handbook
- Text Books List
- Program Brochure (Spanish)
- Program Brochure
Admission and Recommendation Letter Forms
Clinical Affiliates - School of Medical Technology
- Ashford Community Hospital, Santurce, P.R.
- Hospital San Jorge, Santurce, P.R.
- Hospital Menonita, Aibonito, P.R.
- Hospital Ryder, Humacao, P.R.
- Hospital Del Maestro, Hato Rey, P.R.
- Hospital Auxilio Mutuo, Rio Piedras, P.R.
- Hospital Menonita, Cayey, P.R.
- Centro Médico de Rio Piedras, P.R.
- Hospital Alejandro Otero, Manatí, P.R.
- Hospital Dr. Center, Manatí, Bayamón y San Juan, P.R.
- Hospital Menonita, Caguas, P.R.
- Laboratorio Toledo, Arecibo, P.R.
- Laboratorio Borinquen, Caguas, P.R.
- Hospital Pavía, Arecibo, P.R.
- Hospital de Veteranos, San Juan, P.R.
- Cruz Roja Americana
- National Accrediting Agency for Clinical Laboratory Sciences (NAACLS) http://www.naacls.org
- American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP) http://ascp.org
- American Society for Clinical Laboratory Science http://ascls.org
- Nacional Institute of Health http://nih.gov
- PubMed National Library Medicine http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez
- European Bioinformatics Institute (EMBL-EBI) http://www.ebi.ac.uk/services
- ExPASy Proteomics Server http://au.expasy.org